How many new viruses come out per month? Back in the day we quoted 300 per month, then 400. And today some say 1,968 per month. That’s 64 new viruses per day / 21 each night while you sleep / 2.6 per hour. Sobering thought, isn’t it?
Fortunately, you’ve got anti-virus software to protect you. But how good is it?
Austrian firm AV Comparatives unleashed 1,000,000 virus samples on the top anti-virus products in their 13th comparative test of on-demand detection of malicious software. The 17 victims were:
- Avast! Professional Edition 4.7
- AVG Anti-Malware 7.5
- AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.03
- BitDefender Professional Plus 10
- Dr.Web for Windows 95-XP 4.33.2
- eScan Anti-Virus 8.0
- ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.23
- Fortinet FortiClient 3.0
- F-Prot for Windows 126.96.36.199
- F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01
- G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
- McAfee VirusScan 11.1
- Microsoft OneCare 1.5
- Norman Virus Control 5.82
- Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0
- TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.5
Obviously, some AV companies are MIA from that list. How did your favorite AV software stack up?
Hit the jump to the PDF report to find out (9 pages – 0.6 MB).