Whitepaper title: Migrating Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
File name: A_Migrate2003.doc
Date Published: 04/27/2011
File size: 422 KB
Download URL: Click here
This guide explains how to install Windows SBS 2011 Essentials in migration mode on a new server, and then migrate the settings and data from the old server that is running Windows Small Business Server 2003 to the new server that is running Windows SBS 2011 Essentials. This guide also helps you demote and remove your old server from the network after you finish the migration process.
From the mailbag:
When I connect to the SBS 2011 server via RWA from a machine with dual monitors, it takes up both of my screens instead of one. Is there a fix for that on the server?
Yes, you can control the screen resolution when remoting into the SBS 2011 box via Remote Web Access. This will avoid the ‘double-wide’ screen like this:
- From the remote PC login to Remote Web Access (RWA).
- Instead of clicking on the “Connect” button next to the server name, hit the Computers link at the top.
- Click Remote Desktop Options and then choose your resolution from the Screen size dropdown. Select any option except full screen.
- Hit Save.
The next time you remotely connect to the server, it will no longer be spread across both monitors and will just be a movable window.
To test this, if you have split-DNS setup you can hit the RWA URL from inside the building without getting an SSL name error.
Note: You can also use dual-monitors on desktop PCs via RWA if those computers are running Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate.
At long last, you can finally get your grubby little mitts on all of the SBS 2011 download bits. (Hey, I made a rhyme!)
The whole gang is available now online:
- SBS 2011 Standard (SBS v7)
- SBS 2011 Essentials (Aurora)
- Windows Home Server 2011 (Vail)
And you can get them from several places:
SBS 2011 ESSENTIALS – TRIAL VERSION
Title: Windows Small Business Server SBS 2011 Essentials Trial Version
EN-US_SBS_ESS_EVAL_InstallDVD.iso (3.98 GB)
Note: To download the SBS 2011 Essentials trial, you must sign in with a Windows Live ID and answer a few questions (language, business address, phone, contact preferences). Also, the downloader is Java-based, so you’ll need Java installed on the machine initiating the download.
SBS 2011 STANDARD – TRIAL VERSION
Title: Windows Small Business Server SBS 2011 Standard Version
EN-US_SBS_STD_InstallDVD.iso (6.35 GB)
To download the SBS 2011 Standard trial, it’s the same info requirements and Java deal as Essentials above.
TechNet SBS 2011 Essentials / Standard Download
MSDN SBS 2011 Essentials / Standard Download
The MSDN download isn’t showing up just yet, but it should be online by the time you read this.
TechNet / MSDN Windows Home Server 2011
Unfortunately, no ETA on the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) copies of SBS 2011 Standard or Essentials yet.
- 1.4 GHz x64 processor or 1.3 GHz dual-core processor
- Up to 2 sockets (SBS 2011 Essentials) or 4 sockets (SBS 2011 Standard)
- RAM: 2GB min / 4 GB rec / 32 GB max (SBS 2011 Essentials)
RAM: 8GB min / 10 GB rec / 32 GB max (SBS 2011 Standard)
- 160 GB min disk space (SBS 2011 Essentials)
120 GB min disk space (SBS 2011 Standard)
- 10/100 Network Interface Card
- Source: http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/system-requirements.aspx