A look at the latest updates to software-defined storage with Storage Spaces Direct, new with Windows Server 2016. Elden Christensen explains the advantages in terms of cost, performance and reliability.
Also, find out what your deployment options are from hyper-converge or branch offices to converge for enterprise scale workloads. Finally aucasinosonline, you’ll see how this applies to disaster recovery.
Source: Microsoft Mechanics Library
StorageCraft has recently announced ShadowProtect version 4.2.0. There are some important points worth mentioning.
There are now only 2 installers (instead of Std, SBS, Desktop, etc.)
- ShadowProtectSetup_4.2.0.exe (Standard)
- ShadowProtectSetup_MSP_4.2.0.exe (MSP version)
- < 4.0.1 Installed
If the current version of ShadowProtect installed is older than 4.0.1, you must deactivate it, uninstall it, reboot, then install 4.2.0, setup your jobs again. etc.
- >=4.0.1 Installed
If the current version of ShadowProtect installed is 4.0.1 or newer, you can install over top of the existing bits and your settings will be preserved. Just make sure that you’re using the right installer (MSP installer for the MSP version, Standard installer for everything else).
- Desktop Edition keys – can only be used on non-server OS platforms.
- SBS Edition keys – can only be used on SBS or Foundation Server.
- Virtual keys – can only be used on virtual machines.
- Server Edition keys – can be used on Server, SBS or Foundation Server.
- MSP keys – works on any supported platform.
- Portuguese (Portugal)
- Chinese (Traditional and Simplified)
- Now called Recommended Recovery Environment (RRE)
- Based on 32-bit x86 Win7/2008R2, now comes on its own .ISO
- Requires 768 MB physical RAM to function properly
- Storage drivers need to be 32-bit Win7 or 2008R2 in the REE
- Legacy Environment is gone (available as a separate download)
- Fixed a bug that prevented keyboard-only navigation in the backup and restore wizards. (yay!)
- Experimental support for iSCSI (select iSCSI from the Tools menu).
- Now supports VirtualBox versions 3.1.0 – 4.1.6 for VirtualBoot
Source: ShadowProtect 4.2.0 change log
KYSBSUG August 2010 Meeting #78 –
SBS 2008 Disaster Recovery Using Hyper-V
Presenters: Tim Barrett & Kevin Royalty
Date: Wednesday August 18, 2010
Time: 6:30-8:30 PM Eastern
Venue: Money Concepts
Address: 323 Townepark Circle, Louisville, KY 40243
Map: Click here
Registration URL: Click here to register today!
Your customer calls and says, "Our server is completely destroyed, but we have the backups."
What’s your next move? Do you have hardware on standby? Do you have a well-documented plan so you can spring into action? Or will you just wing it?
Join us this month for a joint presentation with CiNPA and KYSBSUG as we talk about disaster recovery of SBS and show how to restore an SBS 2008 native backup and ShadowProtect backups into Hyper-V. This talk is based on real-life recovery situations and personal experiences.
Due to limited seating, registration *is* required.
Click here to register today!