KYSBSUG June 2010 – Office 2010

KYSBSUG June 2010 Meeting #76 – What’s New in Office 2010
Presenter: Tim Barrett
KYSBSUG - Kentucky Small Business Server User GroupDate: Wednesday June 23, 2010
Time: 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM Eastern
Venue: Money Concepts
Address: 323 Townepark Circle, Louisville, KY 40243
Map: Click here

IMPORTANT: Due to a scheduling conflict, we’re meeting on the 4th Wednesday this month, not the typical 3rd Wednesday.

Description:
Office 2010 is currently available through volume licensing, and it’ll be in the big box stores mid-June. Have you used Office 2010, and are you ready to talk to customers about what’s new? Join us and take a tour of the new features that’ll help businesses work faster and smarter, and leave with resources to answer client and employee questions about Office 2010.

Doorprizes:

Registration URL:
Due to limited seating, registration *is* required.
Click here to register today!

Register today!

VN:F [1.9.20_1166]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

Have U Rebooted Yet Q&A

The mailbag guy Time to answer some questions for the HURY mailbag:

Q. I don’t understand most of your comics??
A. That’s not a question, but thanks for playing.

Q. Your comics are not very funny.
A. True.

Q. How long will you keep making the comics?
A. Until I get bored, rich, sued or abducted by aliens.

Q. Why don’t the computers have faces?
A. Does your computer have a face?

Q. Will the characters ever have faces?
A. Yep.

Q. Do the characters have names? How many are there?
A. Lots. There are actually 18 characters, each complete with a bio and a back-story, but only a couple have been published so far:

• Dale – The Small Business Server (First shown in #001)
  • Darwin – The cell phone (001)
  • Mack – Dale’s best friend (002)
  • Mallory – Laptop (006)
  • Mitchell – Old school desktop PC (006)

Q. When do the comics come out?
A. Each Wednesday.

Q. Why are your comics numbered with 3 digits?
A. Because Windows Explorer sorts 001-100 properly but not 1-100 in file names. So I named them like that. Plus, 007 is much cooler than 7.

Q. What do you use to make the comics?
A. Microsoft Office Visio Premium 2010. Under construction it looks like this:

One of the Have U Rebooted Yet comics under construction

Q. Why don’t you draw the comics by hand?
A. For several reasons:

1. I’m lazy.
  2. This is a hobby, not a day job.
  3. Visio is fun.
  4. When I draw with MS Paintbrush they tend to look like this…

i_cant_draw

…which usually frightens little children.

5. But mostly, I’m lazy.

Thanks for the great questions, and thanks for checking out the blog.

So What DO You Blog About?

I ask myself that question a lot.

Using a tool from www.wordle.net here’s the answer to what I’ve been blogging about lately:

My latest blog topics 

Looks kind of like a brain, doesn’t it? And that list is pretty accurate, considering it’s only cataloging what you’re blogging about now. And lately we’ve been talking about the new Microsoft certifications.

And this is my Delicious feed – i.e. stuff I bookmark but don’t necessarily blog:

My Delicious bookmarks

So how does this stack up against other SBS / SMB space bloggers?

Wordle is a pretty interesting tool. I was a little surprised that the SBS content on my blog lately wasn’t higher. And for me that’s a bit of a wakeup call because I’ve been ‘talking’ (face-to-face and over the phone) about SBS a lot with co-workers, partners, customers, user group members. I just haven’t been blogging it. So that’s a good opportunity for me to refocus my writing a bit.

As for the other blog pictures listed; take the images with a grain of salt. This sampling isn’t meant to pigeon hole any blog or blogger into a certain category, or to attempt to define that person. It’s just a visual representation of a mathematical word count of the RSS feeds on their main page.  I also think that items being closer to the top of the page seem to rank higher. Run your blog (or your personal favorite) through Wordle – you might be surprised too. 🙂

KYSBSUG June 2008 Meeting – SBS 2008

kysbsugEveryone is invited to attend the June 2008 KYSBSUG meeting tonight. Admission is free but registration is required. Details below:

Event: June 2008 KYSBSUG Meeting #52
Topic: SBS 2008 (Cougar)
Date: Wednesday 06/18/2008
Venue: Money Concepts
Address: 323 Townepark Circle, Louisville, KY 40243
Start Time: 6:30 PM Eastern
Registration site: http://www.clicktoattend.com/?id=129467

Note: This is our 52nd consecutive free monthly meeting, and we’re still going. So we’d like to say ‘Thanks’ to everyone who has attended a KYSBSUG meeting in the past! You guys rock! 🙂

Why People Don’t Get Twitter

Twitter - you do it and you don't even know it Bo says I’m the official Vista Apologist. I guess I’m going to be the Twitter Apologist now too.

Vlad gets Twitter. And Susan doesn’t. Fine. Tomato / tomahto.  There’s nothing wrong with that not ‘getting’ Twitter. But typically speaking, people who don’t ‘get’ Twitter dismiss it as shallow or a website for the bored. So I’m going to help folks look at Twitter in a different light.

First, Twittervision (a mashup of Twitter and Google Earth) actually *IS* a tool for the bored. In 3 minutes tonight, I saw one person suffering from a headache, one who was trying to decide what to have for dinner, a complaint about someone parking in a handicapped spot and sprinting into the store, traffic problems in Canada, wifi connection crumminess reported in Mexico, and a guy in Portugal was watching Gray’s Anatomy.  Zzzzzzzzzzzz…

Lotta Googlebots in Asia tonight (not that I was watching)

They’re not exactly building a case for effective use of time, are they?

Are these people my friends? No. Do I care what they’re doing? No.
Is it interesting? Maybe compared to watching Reba.

So if the tweets of strangers are of no use to me, are the people who actually come to my website and read my blog my friends? 
Let’s see… here are the traffic stats from a couple of posts on my blog:

Do I know these people? No. Obviously, there aren’t 458 friends of mine who want to ditch the Dell Wallpaper in RDP sessions, right?  Many (I’d say most) of these website visitors are just folks finding hits on search engines, they get what they need, life moves on, the planet continues to spin. Yada yada. Not Twitterers.

Side note: I have more RSS subscribers than website visitors, and the RSS readers tend to be the folks I know / friends. So if you don’t subscribe to the RSS feed and only read the blog on the website, I’m not player hatin’ on ya, OK? 🙂

What about IM? Are those people my friends / family / customers / vendors? Definitely. So why don’t I just IM everybody? Well, we’ll get to that in a minute.

The people you follow on Twitter are either:

• a) your actual friends or acquaintances (community)
  • b) someone you would like to know more about (celeb, pundit, mover)
  • c) someone who interests you (entertaining)
  • d) someone you’re stalking (restraining order)
  • e) some type of bot like news (CNet) / service (ioubeer) / site (woot)
  • f) or you’re bored (go back to Twittervision)

So, if you use IM, do you ever put anything in the tagline? You’re in Room YXZ at Silver Cloud in Seattle? Headed NOLA for the conference?  Installing Vista Service Pack 1 on your production laptop?  Just got your MCSA? Looking for another job? Landed a big deal? In Chicago for the CPA meeting?

I hate to tell you, but that’s a Tweet.

You paying for plane fare? …tweet

et tu, HFB? …tweet

I have no idea what that means?!? …tweet

Gonna post those pics on Flickr? …tweet

Nicely done Wayne! …tweet

Susan - even you. A Twitterer at heart. …tweet

And do you read other people’s tag lines in IM as well when you login? Yep, sure you do.

Folks, you’re already Twittering and you don’t even know it!  You’re just using the wrong tool do to it. Pick the red pill.  🙂

UPDATE 03/28/2008 – This video explains Twitter better than I can:
http://www.commoncraft.com/Twitter

Free Microsoft SB Summit 2008 Next Week

If you’re involved in small business, you need to attend the
Third Annual Microsoft Small Business Summit, March 24 – 27, 2008. 

Microsoft Small Business SummitThis FREE online event provides hours
of valuable small business programming each day. You’ll get tips, advice, and secrets from experts, all designed to make the hats you wear each day fit more comfortably.

This 4-day event is broken into themes for each day (details and speaker list below). I attended the first two small business summits, and they had top notch speakers like Guy Kawasaki, and the content was fantastic.  This year looks to be a great event as well, and I HIGHLY recommend you attend.
You won’t be sorry (unless you miss it!) 🙂

Registration is free: https://www.sbsummit.com
REGISTER TODAY!

And you can watch it LIVE on NoGeekLeftBehind:
http://www.nogeekleftbehind.com/sbsummit.htm

Watch

• Day 1 – Monday March 24 – Sales & Marketing (12 – 4PM)*
  • Day 2 – Tuesday March 25 – Productivity, Mobility & Security (12 – 4PM)*
  • Day 3 – Wednesday March 26 – Financial Management (12 – 4PM)*
  • Day 4 – Thursday March 27 – Startup Day (12 – 4PM)*

*All times Eastern Daylight Time

Presentation schedule: https://www.sbsummit.com/program-guide.aspx?day=1

BEST PRACTICE – be sure to catch the presentations from the following
SBS Group Leaders:

Kevin Royalty [SBS-MVP] as he presents
Run Your Business From Anywhere
Tuesday March 25, 2008 from 2PM – 3PM Eastern

And Scott Cayouette as he presents
Top Security Tips
Tuesday March 25, 2008 from 3PM – 4PM Eastern

I Am the Melissa Rivers of Vladville

image The SMB Community is an odd beast. Layers of relationships, politics, technical skills, information, money, experts and posers, givers and takers…
nothing is shocking really anymore.  But it’s nice when things get mixed up a little bit though.

First, Jamie Strauss sent me a link to a new SBS video blog that is, in a word, ‘different’. Not your normal screen-cast or interview-fest or self-aggrandizing we’ve come to expect in the past from the community. The videos are ‘refreshingly different’ to say the least.  And since I’m a staunch avoider of blog-on-blog action, I’ll let the videos speak for themselves.

And then there Vlad. Who is Texas. And bored. That’s never a good thing. Probably misses his Rumba already. He stopped by on IM tonight long enough to talk smack while on his hiatus.  One comment led to another. Vlad wound up having to Google ‘Premarin’ and now I am the Melissa Rivers of Vladville:

Between Melissa and I, one of us is seriously offended, and I think it’s her.

Good times. 🙂

KYSBSUG Feb 2008 – Windows Mobile Hands-On Lab

windows_mobile_palm_treo Are you interested in setting up a Windows Mobile device with SBS, but just haven’t gotten around to doing it?

If so, you’re not alone.  Next to Windows SharePoint Services, Windows Mobile devices are the most under-used killer technology in SBS.

This month our topic for the KYSBSUG meeting is a free hands-on lab / boot camp to get IT Pros and network administrators comfortable with testing, rolling out, and supporting Windows Mobile devices with SBS.

In addition to offering training on Windows Mobile 5 & 6, we’ll also provide resources for connecting Palm mobile devices (such as the new Palm Centro) and Apple iPhones with SBS. 

If you’re shy and have never used Windows Mobile devices before, this event is for you! We’ll take you from a-to-sync. 🙂  Or, if you’re already are a Windows Mobile pro, you’re still invited to attend, compare notes on local wireless carriers, help users with the labs, and be registered for the door prizes.

You are invited to register and attend in person!
Cost:  FREE

Event: KYSBSUG February 2008 Meeting (#47)
Topic: Windows Mobile Hands-On Lab / Boot Camp
Date: Wed Feb 20, 2008
Time: 6:30 PM Eastern – 9:00 PM Eastern
Address: 323 Townepark Circle
City St Zip: Louisville, KY 40243
Registration Required?: Yes
Invitees: IT Pros, Network Administrators, KYSBSUG Members & Geeks
Registration URL: http://www.clicktoattend.com/?id=125230

Below is a list of what you’ll need to complete the lab.

Note: If you’re missing any of the pieces below to complete the lab, don’t worry. You’re still invited to attend to receive a copy of the simulator software and to see what pieces you need to put in place to properly configure a Windows Mobile device on your (or your customer’s) network. Just be sure to bring a flash drive.

IMPORTANT – You DO NOT need to have a Pocket PC or SmartPhone to complete this lab. We will provide attendees with a Windows Mobile emulator that runs on your PC. (We also have a Palm emulator as well).

To complete the lab you will need:

• Laptop PC (Vista or XP) with WiFi
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 1-1.5 GB available hard drive space
  • Remote access to an SBS server with RWW properly configured (CEICW already run & ports open in your firewall)
  • An ‘A’ record pointing to your RWW site (such as remote.domain.com or server.domain.com)
  • Administrator credentials for your SBS server
  • AC powerstrip / surge protector or extension cord
  • 1 GB or larger USB flash drive

OPTIONAL – If you DO decide to bring a SmartPhone or Pocket PC, please also bring:

• Your Windows Mobile device
  • The charger / AC adapter
  • The data cable / cradle
  • Any software (CDs) that came with the phone
  • An SD / Mini SD / Micro SD card (whatever your device takes)
  • A card reader or adapter to read the SD card on your PC

There is already a lot of interest in this topic and seating is limited, so please register early to guarantee a seat.